Monday, July 26, 2010

Thrift Share Monday-July 26th

Two days in a row my kids and I found ourselves up at 6 o'clock in the morning. We've become accustomed to sleeping in with school being out, so the early hour was a rude awakening. We were up and out the door by 7 or so to set up our stuff at my friend's house for a community-wide garage sale. Thankfully, kids and I had loaded up the car the night before, so all we had to do on both days was set up. On the first day of the sale, there were a lot of early birds, even an hour before the sale. Early bird garage shoppers usually annoy me but I was in the mood to get rid of stuff, so it didn't bother me too much.
The first day was also our busiest day. We did about $60 on the first day which isn't a lot but I had a lot of low-priced items. The second day of the sale was much slower. There was an arts and crafts show and a neighboring town's festival going on.
We had a dresser with a matching mirror that we were trying to sell for $20. Last week, my husband had wanted to set it out on the curb but I wanted to try to get something out of it first. My husband showed up at the second day of the sale later in the morning and remarked that the dresser was still there. He jokingly said we should have just put it out on the curb. So I made an even larger sign than the one that was already hanging on the side of the dresser and put it on the front. A few people showed an interest in it but it either wasn't the right size or color. I was feeling a bit discouraged that my husband might be right (which I'd never hear the end of) when our last customer of the day purchased the dresser and mirror for $15! After the customer left, I did a happy dance in the driveway, chanting I told you so, I told you so. :) I had not been looking forward to bringing it back to my house. The second day of the sale we did a whole $25.
Even with all of the work of pricing, loading, unloading and re-loading everything, it was worth it. My friend has two kids about the same age as mine and they all hit it off. We enjoyed kicking back and relaxing in the sun and spending time together. The money raised will be going toward to back-to-school shopping.
As for thrifting, my friend and I walked to a couple of sales on her street. I found a necklace for my oldest kiddo for $1 to use for formal school dances and a pair of earrings and a 1928 brand necklace.




The best finds came from my friend's garage. She used to be a reseller and mentioned she had packing supplies that she wasn't going to use and were taking up a lot of space. I got two huge garbage bags, a large box and a large storage bin (she wanted me to keep the bin) of packing peanuts for free. She didn't want any money for them so I'll be taking her out to lunch sometime in the near future as a thank you.
I'll be shifting gears on my thrifting in the next month as I'll be on the lookout for school clothes and supplies and beginning my holiday shopping instead of shopping for inventory.

For more thrifting fun, hop on over to Apron Thrift Girl for Thrift Share Monday.

2 comments:

  1. The last garage sale I had people showed up the night before wanting to see if they could purchase early--funny. Happy you were able to have fun & get rid of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it was that hard to sell your poor dresser. At least it got a new home instead of the garbage bin. And you got to say I told you so to the hubby and that's always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete