Monday, August 16, 2010

Thrift Share Monday-Grandma's Garage

I can't believe it is the middle of August all ready and that school starts in a couple of weeks! The last couple of weeks have been very busy with family visits, birthday parties, school shopping and life in general.

My grandma recently turned 85 and at her birthday party, she handed out a garage sale itinerary to all the family members. I chuckled to myself as we usually get travel itineraries from her but I don't think I've ever received one for a garage sale. The piece of paper stated that she was holding a garage sale later in the month but wanted family to have first crack at the stuff and offered everyone to come out a week before the sale. She moved this spring from a 2 bedroom house to a 1 bedroom, 500 square foot apartment in an assisted living complex.

It happened that my husband had a meeting to attend in that part of town the day before the family garage sale preview. My grandma was game for us coming so the kids and I picked her up and drove over to her house. My folks were there when we arrived, taking pictures of furniture that was not being sold with her house. We all visited while going through boxes (there were lots of them). After a few hours and a much needed lunch break, my trunk was full of vintage goodies and enough cat towers and condos to build up a small town. My youngest kiddo had to have them and our overly spoiled cat is pleased as punch with his new digs.



Old tins that belonged to my great-grandma that she used for storing sewing notions. I'll be using them for storage in my office.



Two pinking shears which have been on my buy list for a while. Lots of vintage buttons and sewing needles.


A small collection of tape measures and a little oil can. I'm constantly misplacing my tape measures and love the look of these ones.


This was hanging up on a nail in a very dusty corner of my grandma's garage. I'll be using this in place of my modern plastic one since it has more pizazz.


My mom spotted all of the Pyrex in a box. I need more Pyrex like I need a hole in the head. My husband is coveting the mixing bowls, even though we have a set in another color that belonged to my great-aunt.



Vintage books are one of my weaknesses. I'm very much looking forward to browsing through them when this hot weather goes away and I'm in the mood to turn on my oven.



This is my favorite find. An old transistor radio. I had a more modern version in white when I was a kid. It only gets AM stations but there is a charming oldies station I'm looking forward to listening to while I work.

Be sure to visit over at Apron Thrift Girl for more thrifting stories.

6 comments:

  1. I have been looking for an old hand held transistor radio forever. Great color, Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the vintage sewing goodies, and the red radio. I had one like that too - a very long time ago. How nice that your grandma shared all of good stuff with the family first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really had me cracking up on your reference about how much you need more Pyrex! But what beauties you found! I have been baking late at night when the weather is a little cooler which is just barely tolerable, that cooler weather cannot come soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I would have loved seeing the cat towers! We have one in every room. The cats have better views than I do. Even though I don't cook often the old cookbooks are a favorite.
    To sharpen the old pinking shears, cut some foil with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dogsmom-Thank you for the tip on the pinking shears!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sewing items. And you can never have enought tape measures. I am constantly hunting mine and I do have quite a few myself.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete