Monday, January 3, 2011

Mother-in-Law Thrifting

Now before anyone gets the wrong idea, I was nor am I thrifting for a new mother-in-law. I love mine dearly and hope to have her for a long time. My mother-in-law (MIL, for short) celebrated the ushering in of 2011 by spending the weekend with us. Yesterday, we ventured out for a late breakfast at one of our favorite eateries and followed it up with a trip to the thrift store. My youngest kiddo and husband went to the pet store next door as they weren't in a shopping mood.
I wasn't even 10 items into the first rack of clothing when my youngest kiddo shocked me out of my shopping zen by appearing at my side unexpectedly. My presence was being requested by my DH next door to look at a dog. It took a lot of self-control not to roll my eyes and sigh. Things are busy enough with our current mini zoo of animals, two cats and a big dog. However, I recently agreed to consider adopting a small dog sometime down the road after a long discussion with my DH. My kiddo and DH started talking at the same time, showing me the cats up for adoption (weren't they soooo cute?)and oh, oh here is the dog! My heart melted when I saw the little Yorkshire Terrier who was the real reason I was brought over. I spoke with the lady from the rescue group that was sponsoring his and the other animals' adoptions to find out his history. He seemed to be a good fit for our current quirky pet society and my DH filled out the paperwork. The main thing going against us is we do not have a fenced-in yard. If we don't hear back within the next 48 hours, then we'll know it wasn't meant to be.
I went back to the thrift store to join up with my MIL and oldest kiddo and tried to not think about the dog. I hoped my DH and kids weren't getting to attached as well.
Pickings were rather slim but I managed to find a jacket and vest for myself for $10, and my MIL found a top for herself.
The jacket is missing the bottom button but I have one that will match the others. I'll be on the hunt this year for versatile wardrobe pieces that I can wear dressed up or dressed down. I had a few occasions last year where I needed to dress up beyond my normal jeans and top and boots and scrounged together outfits at the last minute.




For more thrifting adventures, be sure to stop on over at Apron Thrift Girl's Thrift Share Monday.

3 comments:

  1. O, I so hope you get the dog! I can't believe they have a fence-restriction for a yorkie. I used to be an "adoption" technician at an animal shelter in a former career and the little dogs were perfect for (pet-friendly) apt dwellers and/or those with small lots or no fences. I think the most important element for perspective doggie parents should be commitment and love (and not so much a fence with dog parks and such around these days)!

    (P.S. love the blazer!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jacket will be an easy fix. Nice finds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blazer at a great price. Hope you go ahead & get a dog...sounds like it will be sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete