Monday, February 28, 2011

Thrift Share Monday-It's All About the Accessories

It was hard to be patient all last week while I waited until Saturday morning for an estate sale ad that mentioned vintage clothing and 100s of pairs of shoes. It was a very cold 27 degrees when I went out to my car and headed out. I arrived about 20 minutes early, parking was a breeze and noticed that people were already coming in and out of the house. I headed in the direction of a bedroom which happened to be the first door on the right. The room was very dim and the shoes were divided into two plastic bins. For about 10 minutes, I played Memory in trying to find the correct match for making a pair of shoes. There were a LOT of shoes. I left my bags out in my car as I thought they might be a hindrance but it turned out I needed them. I didn't want to go back out into the cold, so I reorganized the purses from two bins down to one bin and used the extra bin for my finds. The clothes were a mish-mash of mostly vintage elderly lady clothing and some things that had potential. There was a gorgeous gray wool coat and dress that looked like it was part of a nurse's uniform. I made it through the rest of the house, lugging my heavy plastic bin from room to room. I overheard in my passing by that people were lined up at the door an hour before the sale and that they were let into shop. It annoyed me a little bit but I let it pass. Some lovely treasures I admired from afar as they were far from my budget were fur coats and stoles, antique furniture and gorgeous Persian rugs. The gal running the estate sale kept emphasizing that they were Persian not Turkish. She noted that I had one of the totes from the bedroom and said I hope you brought some bags because I'm not selling that. After I paid, I made a trip out to my car for my bags and fortunately everything fit. As I was filling my bags, I noticed a couple pairs of the shoes had some damage that I might not be able to fix. I asked her if I could have my money back on those two pairs or if she'd consider a price reduction. She gave me my money back, said she'd appreciate if I would put the two pairs back I decided not to take or just take them away for free, in a snotty tone and walked away. I resisted the urge to stick my tongue out at her, put one of pairs of shoes back and took the other one. I headed to a large rummage sale that left my head swimming with all of the stuff and kids running around (just bought a book and pair of sandals there) and then to a small thrift store before heading home.

Here are the highlights of my trip.

I love the floral print shoes. They were the first ones that caught my eye.






My favorite is the leather satchel tote.


Fun belts to accessorize vintage clothing I'm selling.

Join in the fun at Apron Thrift Girls' Thrift Share Monday.

6 comments:

  1. Hi,thanks for visiting my blog - wow you got some fabulous treasures. I love hearing about estate sales - we dont have them around here but they sound fun. Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Scarlett, they do sound fantastic. Back to the carboots for us Brits!

    You can never have too many accessories ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shoes! Are they your size or for resale?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina-They are for resale. Sadly, none of them are my size. The fashionable lady that they belonged to had tiny feet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them all. You've just made yourself a big motivation for me. Thanks. By the way, you might be interested in one of the most complete and helpful sites on adaptive clothing. Thanks and more power!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hearing about your shopping experience! It's funny how people act like that when they would normally be quite nice. I hope! And the shoes you did get are perfect! I love the dark green pair with the fantastic green insole.

    ReplyDelete