Monday, May 16, 2011

Thrift Share Monday-Let's Dish

It's been almost a month since my last thrift share post. I've most definitely have thrifted to my heart's content in that time and have some wonderful things to share. I'll be catching up on my thrifting in future posts.

On Friday, I went to a rummage sale that I did well at last year, but this year it was very overpriced and the selection was as my older cousin would say, meh. I headed over to a nearby thrift store on the search for my youngest kiddo some jeans as she is has hit yet another growth spurt this year. I found some in her favorite brand and they were priced at $9.99, $14.99 and $3.99 (half off). Most of the jeans in her size were priced in the $10 range, to my surprise. Has anyone noticed a jump in prices at the chain thrift stores? I looked at the department store website of my kiddo's favorite jean brand and a new pair cost $30-$40. So I got 3 pairs for the price of one which is still a good deal. Selection has been spotty this garage sale season for clothing in my kids' sizes at garage sales.

I stopped at a smaller thrift store on my way home. I noticed a set of dishes at the front of the store when I was getting ready to check out. I walked past them a few times, picked up a couple of plates, a mug and set them back down. I browsed through the books and felt drawn again to the dishes. I didn't need a set of dishes. Really. I've been through a lot of dishes in 16 1/2 years of marriage.

  • Some pieces we received from a pattern we put on our wedding registry. I'm unsure of what happened to those dishes.

  • Pfaltzgraff's Tea Rose pattern (first complete dish set I ever bought at a garage sale being newly married).

  • A full set of formal china my husband and father-in-law found at an estate sale (which moved with us 11 times in 14 years and I used them for maybe a year after they sat in storage before I discovered I really never liked the pattern).

  • Pfaltzgraff's Blue Isle pattern (which was discontinued 3 months after I purchased a few pieces & near impossible to find secondhand without paying a pretty penny.)

  • Hodge-podge thrifted plates & bowls in various patterns & colors.



A few years ago, I decided on plain white plates at a department store. Unfortunately, in my haste, they turned out not to be the best quality and they've cracked, chipped and just plain broke in half. I noted the dishes in the thrift store were Noritake and I really thought the pattern was sweet. I had not checked the price at this point and thought for sure they would be expensive. Price tag for all the dishes: $20. I snapped them up in a heartbeat. My husband even likes the pattern which is a plus. :)



I did some quick research on the pattern (Palos Verde) and they were produced in the 1960s-1970s. I absolutely adore them.

Be sure to check out other thrifted finds at Apron Thrift Girl .

5 comments:

  1. $20 for all of those?!! Wow you totally scored! Love the pretty detail on each dish.

    Delighted Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a bargain! You did very well.
    Madison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen prices like that, you really lucked out, and I'm sure they'll last you a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, very pretty! I also found a Noritake set recently, only it was far from complete (two plates only, but I love the pattern!) Yesterday, I found a lone coffee cup in the same pattern about 400 miles from where I found the plates! :)

    I can't wait to see what else you have found!

    (How are feeling-better?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsay-I even asked the sales clerk if the price was correct as usually they mark stuff pretty high.

    Madison-Thanks!

    SixBalloons-The whole family is enjoying them. :)

    Gina-I'd love to see the Noritake you found. That's so cool you found another piece. I'm feeling much better. I was diagnosed at the end of February with hypothyroidism. It means taking medication that I don't like but I feel like my old self again and it's been a long time since I've had some energy and spring in my step.

    ReplyDelete