Monday, May 30, 2011

Thrift Share Monday-Riding Along Vintage -Style

Last month, I went to a consignment store for the first time. Prices were on a little on the high side for resale and nothing was jumping out at me, pleading for me to take it home. I thanked the store owner and I did a quick passing glance at some things by the counter. And all of a sudden, there it was.


In one of my favorite colors. It was vintage. It was $78. I couldn't think of a reason to buy it. Would I really ride it? I posted a picture of it on Facebook, hoping my gearhead of a brother would see it within a reasonable period of time. Luckily, he was online within a couple hours of seeing it. His reason for me to get it was because it was cool. I called the store and put it on hold for a few days to think it over. It turned out to have a couple of minor issues and might need new tires and I asked the consignment store owner if she would consider $65. She called her consignor and it was a deal! I'm on the lookout for a vintage wire bike basket.

A couple of days later, I went to a rummage sale where I found a couple of great vintage dresses and some clothes for my kids. I spotted a vintage bike leaning up against a table. Price tag was $25. I posted a picture of it on Facebook, noting it was the week for vintage bikes. My brother commented he was seriously interested in it. By this time, I'd already left the rummage sale and had embarked on some other errands. I really hoped it was there as I knew he would have a fun time tricking it out. Woot! It was still there. The challenge was trying to get it into the back of my small sedan. I've never been able to get the back seats to fold down, so I called my husband at work and left him a voice mail requesting help. Time was running out as I needed to be heading home in time for when the kids got out of school. It took me about 20 minutes of maneuvering, twisting, contorting and a little bit of swearing to get the bike into the back seat. My husband did call me back when I was about halfway home. It was as much of a challenge to get the bike out of the car as it was to get it in.



I'll leave you with one of my favorite clips from Sesame Street from when I was a kid about riding bikes.



Please stop by Apron Thrift Girl for Thrift Share Monday.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely finds! The chrome fenders and two-tone seat on the first bike make my little heart go pitter-pat.

    *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I just requested that my husband bring mine down this weekend to KY so I can ride after work. You will ride it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a rider, actually in Phoenix a hot urban one at that! I can't tell you how much riding a bike has changed my life for the better. As my husband and I have discovered when on a bike we are really in the moment. For me I feel connected to the earth. So ride it! Enjoy that beautiful bike. AND I'm jealous!! I want a vintage 10 speed to redo into a fixie, now that I want one they are NO WHERE!!:) Congrats! Bikes are a beautiful thing!

    ReplyDelete